Monday, November 12, 2007

A Fall Outing to Remember

For the first time in seven years, I was fortunate enough to have my parents and my wife Monica come to Fall Outing at Camp Kanata. It was a special day for me -- a day that I had been planning for months. Since I was in the Indian Guides with my Dad in Charlotte in the early 70's, I wanted to thank him, and my mom for all that they have done for me. I wrote my script with tears in my eyes. It was going to be difficult to read. For the next week, I read over the script several times each day and it became easier. During the ceremony, when I turned to the last page of the script, my son Aaron whispered "Uh-oh", knowing I might have trouble reading it. Fortunately I didn't get choked up.

Here's what I added at the end of the ceremony for my parents.

Little Braves, tonight is a night you will never forget.

You'll remember the fall breeze and the color in the trees.

You'll remember taking your 2-mile hike and having fun with your tribe.

You'll remember holding your dad's hand and walking together between the lit torches as the tom-tom beats in the background.

You'll remember how high you jumped when the bonfire was lit.

You'll remember exchanging bear claws with your dad and giving him a big hug.

All the memories that you form tonight and in the years to come with your dad in the Y-Guides program will be with you forever. And perhaps you'll be able to share these same experiences in the Y-Guides with your son or daughter when you become a big brave.

I want to tell you a true story.

There once was a man named Morning Cloud. Just like your dad, Morning Cloud had a son who he loved very much. Morning Cloud taught his son to love his family. He taught his son to be respectful of others and to respect our natural surroundings. He taught him to fish and to make a campfire. Together with his wife, Morning Cloud helped shape and guide their son into a man. But most importantly, together, they showed their son how to be a great father.

Morning Cloud's son is now grown and has two children of his own. It's now the son's time to pass down all those important lessons that he learned from his mother and father to his own children. The son is thankful every day for the lessons he received from his parents.

You ask yourself "Is Morning Cloud an Indian?"

No, but Morning Cloud was a dad just like the Big Braves sitting here tonight. Morning Cloud was a father in the YMCA Indian Guides program. The son was just like all of you Little Braves.

The son's Indian name in this story is Red Cloud. I am Red Cloud and the son in this story.

I then introduced my parents and walked over and gave them the biggest hug.

Now this is something I'll never forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could see your parents from where I stood and, trust me, it's not a moment they will ever forget either.

We would all do well to take time to thank our parents for all they have done for us.